Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Send Me Your Family Faves


Family-favorite recipes. We've all got them, some healthier than others. These biscuits, pictured above, were a staple of my childhood. Warm, flakey, buttery, and typically served with a piping hot bowl of beef stew. My mother is a fabulous cook.

When I first started seriously reading food magazines in high school, one of my favorite columns was the section in Cooking Light where they take a classic recipe and make it healthier with a few small tweaks and substitutions. Mac and cheese with half the calories? Sign me up!

So I have a request for you all. Do you have a favorite family recipe that needs a healthy makeover? Perhaps it's a dish of cheesy potatoes, or maybe a casserole of some sorts. Heck, it could even be a cookie. Whatever it is, send it my way. It can be a complete recipe. In that case, e-mail it to me (madisonjanemayberry@gmail.com) or just a type of dish, in which case you can just leave a comment below!

My plan is to feature healthier versions of your family favorites over the next few months. And as a thank you for sending me recipes to rework, I'll be sending along some blog loving, too, so don't be shy to post links in the comments section!

Madison

10 comments:

BLP said...

Haha, if you can make sfinges (Zeppole) Italian fried donuts healthier, I'm all for it! LOL

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!

I'll definitely send you one after work! I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head--but it definitely involves cheesy potatoes ...

Alicia said...

Great idea! My family has a funeral casserole that is a fav. My Aunt used to volunteer at the church for funerals so it kind of morphed it to an obsession around my family. I am going to have to dig it out but I have not attempted yet to make it vegan or vegetarian for that matter so it would be interesting and prob easy.

Cassie said...

Please make risotto healthier! hahaha!

Lisa said...

This is not a family recipe, but I adore Oregon Trail Apple Danish bread. You used to be able to get it from Sam's, but they don't seem to be stocking it anymore. If you've ever had it, I would love for you to give us a healthy recipe that emulates the taste. Thanks so much!

Jessi Stucke said...

poffertjes!

Jen said...

Growing up our family faves revolved around potatoes, particularly mashed and creamy with real butter and cream, and also potato gratin with cream and cheese.

These days I avoid potatoes altogether, but if you could come up with an equally tasty healthier version of either of those side dishes, I would be eternally grateful!

I love this concept. Looking forward to seeinng the recipes!

Anonymous said...

my family makes struffoli- fried italian cookies dredged in honey. please health-ify them for me!

Anonymous said...

My favorite dessert growing up was flan and I could still eat some now if I wasn't so freaked out about the amount of eggs and condensed milk in each serving!

Anonymous said...

my mom would make a 7-layer bean dip with sour cream/refried mixed together at the bottom. SO good, but not so healthy! i make mine now with black beans, but still use refried beans. i'd love to hear a new twist on the bean dip!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...