Friday, June 3, 2011

IACP: Day 2

With day two of IACP under my belt, I think it's safe to say it was a success. The morning was filled with classes, including a chat with super-talented photographer Penny De Los Santos and New York Times food journalist Kim Severson. And although I could go on for hours about the amazing things I learned and digested from the classes, let's cut to the really good stuff, shall we?


Meet my friend Dorie Greenspan. I suppose calling us 'friends' might be a little presumptuous for someone I've only now talked to a handful of times. Play along with me, will you? This afternoon Dorie, her husband, Michael, and the team from CuilnApp were parked outside the Hilton in downtown Austin giving away free cookies from Dorie's CookieBar, her buttery, flaky sablés to be exact. The cookies were divine, and I can only hope that 45 years from now Joey and I are as happy as Dorie and her husband seem to be.

{Dinner highlight? My first trip to the Whole Foods hot bar! This salad rocked my socks off.}

{We wandered into Berry Austin, a local frozen yogurt shop, and found this amazing wall mosaic made with old plates and trinkets.}

{Fabulous tart froyo with berries. Des Moines needs to get one of these places so badly!}

{Our night ended with a trip to see the bats under the bridge in Austin-all 1.5 million of them.}

Off to bed. Happy Friday, all!

Madison

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LemonTree in Ankeny has amazing froyo just like that!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

AH I love that photo of you- you look so happy! Sounds like an awesome couple of days!!

Anonymous said...

Yes lemon tree is delicious with about 14 different flavors.

Unknown said...

love that mosaix wall

Chelsy Ethridge said...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your time in Austin. I love south congress and my whole foods here is amazing, isn't it? I should basically set up a cot in the middle of the store and just live there...i am there practically everyday!

Anonymous said...

I just came here to say the same thing! Lemon Tree is new in Ankeny is amazing! It is just like the place you describe with lots of flavors and a toppings bar. YUM!

Madison Mayberry said...

Can't believe that I didn't know about Lemon Tree! I can't wait to go check it out. Thanks, all, for the heads-up!

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

Love that pic with Dorie! Lucky lady! Sounds like the whole experience was really gratifying.

Kristina Vanni said...

Great seeing you in Austin! I really enjoyed reading your recap. I included a link in my blog today!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...