Sunday, June 5, 2011

Raw Corn and Tomato Salad with Basil-Lime Dressing


I loved being in Austin over the past four days, but there is nothing quite like coming home and getting back into the groove of a schedule and routine. Don't get me wrong, the food in Austin was amazing, but at the end of the day I would rather just eat at home.

The process of cooking my own food and preparing meals with ingredients from my kitchen is such a safe, soothing and relaxing process. I think that has something to do with the fact that I can be slightly type-A and I enjoy knowing what exactly goes into each meal I consume.

For almost a week now, I've been dreaming of making this salad. Fresh, uncooked corn kernels from good old Iowa sweet corn and tangy, juicy grape tomatoes cut with rich shards of cheese. The Basil-Lime Dressing that tops this corn salad is bright and zesty, and would make a great topper to a lettuce-based salad, too.


Raw Corn and Tomato Salad with Basil-Lime Dressing
Ingredients
Dressing
*1/3 cup light balsamic vinaigrette
*1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
*Juice from 1/2 lime
*2 cloves garlic, peeled
*1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
*1/4 teaspoon salt
Salad
*Corn kernels from 4 ears of fresh sweet corn, uncooked
*1 1/2 to 2 cups sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
*1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese

Instructions
*In the bowl of a food processor, combine the ingredients for the dressing. Blend until well-combined and smooth. Set aside.
*In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes and Asiago cheese. Drizzle dressing atop salad mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with black pepper and additional salt, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings

Happy Cooking!

Madison

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

This salad looks delicious! I want to hear more about your trip:-)

Unknown said...

Yum! This looks awesome - I love a good corn salad! Making this asap!

Cindy @The Flipping Couple said...

Wow, this sounds amazing. Definitely adding it to the summer BBQ rotation.

Baking Serendipity said...

This looks fantastic! Definitely perfect for every summer cookout I have planned :)

helen said...

I love raw corn salads. I will have to try your version with that dressing! Thanks for sharing :)

Paula said...

I like this basil-lime dressing!

Debbie B. said...

Yum!! :)

Chef in Training said...

wow! this looks amazing! I love finding new recipes! I found your blog while blog hopping and i LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow my blog too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Jess said...

i love a black bean salad, i put avocado and cilantro in mine!

black bean and corn salad

Katie said...

This looks fantastic! Would love to make it for my family's 4th of July gathering this year.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...