Thursday, June 2, 2011

Greetings from Austin!

     This week marks my first-ever trip to Austin, Texas, and my first time attending the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) annual conference. I only have a day under my belt, but already this experience has been rewarding, challenging and incredibly educational. Although most who meet me wouldn't guess it, I am incredibly shy at times. I think it must have something to do with the fact that I grew up for much of my life as an only child. This week being shy just wouldn't cut it, so I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, meeting and talking with amazing people, including some of the most influential names in food.

Although I sat next to the Dorie Greenspan at a round-table and across from the lovely, down-to-earth Shauna, of Gluten Free Girl and the Chef, I stopped short of asking to snap a photo with them. Hopefully tomorrow I do a better job of whipping out my iPhone to document a few more of these memorable moments. For now, I'll leave you with these photos of the dinner and walk my mom and I enjoyed at a local Austin taco joint, Guero's.

{Outside Guero's, waiting for our table}
 {My lovely mother, who is looking very fabulous pre-wedding, don't you think?}
{I loved the look of this Chicken diner from afar}
 {Only in Texas would you see real, live cowboys on horses downtown}
{Our dinner was a-may-zing! Fresh veggie tacos in whole wheat tortillas with tons of guac!}

More updates coming at ya tomorrow!

Madison



5 comments:

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

Your mom is looking fabulous! Have a great time, I am SO jealous of all the inspirational people you are meeting!

CupcakesOMG! said...

this makes me homesick (i'm from houston)...looks like so much fun!

www.cupcakesomg.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful opportunity! I loved Austin even if I only visited once. Enjoy your time there! p.s. You ladies are looking fabulous!

helen said...

Looks like you are having a great time, lots to see & do in TX! Enjoy your time there, can't wait to see more :)

alice said...

Looks like you're having a wonderful time. I love the photos!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...