Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Protein: Part 2


I got lots of great feedback on my protein post a few weeks ago and found that many of you were surprised to find out how much protein can come from non-meat sources. I think it's important, vegetarian or not, to know where protein can be found in order to incorporate it into snacks and meals and keep hunger at bay.

Although I eat 'meat replacement' type foods, such a veggie sausage and veggie burgers, on occasion, today's meals are a good example of how you can source your protein in other ways. My new recent favorite food is the Trader Joe's California Style Complete Protein Bread, which contains 5 grams of complete protein per slice!

Here's what my day looked like...

Breakfast
*Cocoa Protein Muffin (24g)
*Fage 0% Greek yogurt (17g)
*1 tablespoon natural creamy peanut butter (4g)
*Small soy latte (6g)
*24 oz. water

Total protein: 51g (this number shocks me!)

Mid-Morning Snack: 
*Cliff Crunchy Peanut Butter Bar (10g)
*More water

Total protein: 10g

Lunch 
*Trader Joe's Veggie Masala Burger (2g)
*1 Slice Trader Joe's California Style Complete Protein Bread (5g)
*Raspberry Smoothie (12g)
*24 oz. water

Total protein: 19g

Afternoon snack
*1/4 cup mixed nuts (6g)
*More water!

Total protein: 6g

Dinner
*1 cup steamed broccoli (2g)
*Trader Joe's Bean and Rice Burrito (13g)

Total protein: 15g

Daily Grand Total: 101 grams protein!

5 comments:

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

Wow, your breakfast sure did start the day off right!

Megan said...

Yup! Another good post showing people that protein is not simply something you find in meat.

Unfortunately, I would guess that most readers of your blog already know this, and that you aren't educating any of the "I eat two #2s from McDs every day" kind of people.

Would you be willing to share some of your favorite bars??

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite said...

Wow! I love that you had a great big breakfast. I am definitely becoming a bigger breakfast/smaller dinner person and I like it :)

helen said...

Love the big breakfast. I occasionally go really big with my breakfast as well, makes me feel great :)

Thanks for sharing this information. It is amazing what you can get out of foods!

Natalie said...

you make me want to add my protein up...my hubby sometimes worries i don't get enough but i don't think he realizes what it's all in!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...