Thursday, September 1, 2011

Watermelon Sorbet


One last hello before we head out for the holiday weekend! I hope where you are or where you are traveling to has a forecast full of sun and warm weather. And if it does, then I have just the thing for you to make.

There are very few foods that I really, truly cannot stand. Mayonnaise, Jell-O, mushy vegetables... and watermelon! I know, I know. People rarely understand how the texture of watermelon can make me cringe, since it seems that most people absolutely adore it. But no matter how hard I've tried in the past, I really never developed a taste for the stuff.

My hubby, on the other hand, adores watermelon, and when I was browsing through Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home the other day and a recipe for watermelon sorbet popped up, I couldn't deny making it for him. Although I love most of Jeni's recipes and adore her book, the idea of adding 1/2 cup of pure corn syrup to the sorbet in addition to the sugar made me cringe. So I forged my own path and eliminated the corn syrup, and to make up for the lack of sweetness, I cut back on the lemon juice she recommended using.

The results were divine, even for someone like me who doesn't love watermelon in the least bit. I've also found that it makes an amazing drink when you combine a scoop of this sorbet with some diet ginger ale. Pure summertime bliss. I'll be sad to see this sorbet, and summer, go.


Watermelon Sorbet
Adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

Ingredients
*1/2 medium seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
*3/4 cup sugar
*Juice from 1 lemon

Instructions
*Puree watermelon in the bowl of a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
*In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Heat mixture over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add to watermelon mixture.
*Cool mixture in the fridge for six to eight hours, or until fully chilled. Once chilled, place in the bowl of an electric ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturers instructions, until mixture is soft and slightly fluffy. Freeze in an airtight container.

Happy Cooking!

Madison 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...