Tuesday, July 19, 2011

His and Hers Greek Salad


Last night I finally made it to the grocery store with Joey and made my first meal in our new kitchen! I'll admit, the idea of having to plan meals every night and think about what I was going to buy at the grocery store in a more thoughtful manner instead of just winging it concerned me a bit. And no one prepared me for how much milk men go through in a single week!

I never really anticipated being the type to meal plan for the week, but I realized yesterday that planning ahead would keep me much more sane and keep some variety in our mealtimes.

Monday night's dinner was on the light and fresh side since it was a scorching 99°F yesterday with no relief in sight for the next few days. While Joey washed the cars, I made this His and Hers Greek Salad. Named because Joey's (his) was topped with baked seasoned chicken breast and mine (hers) was sans-chicken. And easy, fresh way to find compromise between our two eating styles.

His and Hers Greek Salad (for two)
Ingredients
*1 chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise into two thinner pieces
*2 teaspoons olive oil
*1/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning mix
*Salt and black pepper
*3 to 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
*1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
*2 tomatoes, chopped
*1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
*4 tablespoons Greek-style salad dressing

Instructions
*Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Place chicken breast on foil and drizzle with the olive oil, Italian seasoning mix, salt and black pepper. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
*Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and crumbled feta cheese. Toss with the dressing and divide between two bowls.
*Top one (or two) of the bowls with the chicken breast and serve.

Happy cooking!

Madison

7 comments:

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories said...

Mmm looks and sounds delicious! Good job, lady! :)

Sarah Crosby said...

Congrats on getting married!! SUCH an exciting time!

I agree, I used to just wing dinners for myself and be just fine. Now it is lots more planning.

And AMEN SISTER! As someone who does not drink a lot of milk... i have bought more in the one year I have been married than the 4 I lived by myself!! ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

Ha Matt uses so much milk, too! It is amazing how much more of everything they eat. You will definitely get used to the meal planning.

Kristin said...

I agree about the milk thing. Tyler drinks it between meals or right after meals if he's still hungry. Did this salad really fill Joey up? I'm continually amazed at how much food T can eat and feel limited in the meals I can make because of my speedy metabolism man. :-) Let me know how planning meals goes. I'm trying the same. It's hard!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I'm ALWAYS a fan of the greek salad and this looks like a fantastic recipe!

Madison Mayberry said...

Ha! Kristin, I should have totally let you in on the fact that Joey also ate an entire container of Pilsbury Crescent Rolls along with his salad and chicken, and then finished the meal off with a Snickers ice cream bar! So I guess the answer is no, the salad alone didn't fill him up. :)

Kristin said...

Ha!! Love it! I heard you're coming to Becca's wedding and I cannot wait to meet and share all of our "similar life experiences." :-D Hope real life-married life is transitioning smoothly with the jobs, thanks yous, and such.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...