Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Molasses Crinkles


In my opinion, there's a lot to love about Thursdays. I think it has something to do with the anticipation of the weekend and the fun that's coming. Especially in the case of this weekend! Joey and I will be meeting up in Minneapolis for another Bethel football game and to spend some time with his family, including his aunt, uncle and cousins from Wisconsin. Don't worry, I'm already charging my camera and have set a reminder on my phone to take it along. 

Until Friday gets here, I'm biding my time eating cookies. Molasses Crinkles to be exact. Last night I cuddled up in front of the television with my copy of Gourmet Today, and once again, it did not disappoint with plenty of approachable, delectable recipes I couldn't wait to try. It was a tough call between Elvis Presley's favorite pound cake and these cookies. But when it comes to cookies and cake, cookies usually win in my kitchen. 

These Molasses Crinkles are a perfect workhorse for the holiday season. They're deep, rich and filled with seasonal spices. And once baked, they are the perfect texture. No lie. Crispy and sugary on the edges, soft and slightly cakey in the center, they are sure to please crunchy cookie lovers (that's you, mom!) and chewy cookie lovers (me!) alike. Maybe next time I'm back at home, I'll make them to eat with my favorite crunchy cookie lover. 

Have a happy weekend everyone!


Molasses Crinkles
Just Slightly Adapted From Gourmet Today 
Ingredients
*2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
*2 tsp. baking powder
*1 tsp. ground cinnamon
*3/4 tsp. ground ginger
*1/2 tsp. ground allspice
*1/2 tsp. salt
*8 Tbsp. butter, softened
*1 cup packed brown sugar
*2 large eggs
*1/2 cup molasses 
About 1/3 cup coarse sugar or granulated sugar

Instructions
*Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
*Whisk together flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt in a bowl. 
*Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium high speed for two minutes, until pale and fluffy. Add egg and molasses, beating until combined. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture. 
*With wet hands, roll heaping teaspoons of dough into 2-inch balls, then dip balls in sugar and arrange them 2 inches apart on baking sheets. 
*Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for 10 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to racks to cool completely. 

Happy Baking!

Madison

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yumm! Thursday is *nearly* my favorite day too! I agree - there's something about the anticipation of the weekend. Sorry I'll miss you in Minneapolis, but have tons of fun!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers said...

Oooh delicious! Molasses cookies are definitely an all time favorite and perfect for this time of year...we will be making batches and batches...and are definitely going to use this recipe...yay crunchy cookies!

Stephanie said...

Hi Madison -- Random, but I found your blog through Joy the Baker's giveaway today, and I noticed you live in Iowa and mentioned Bethel University in your post. That's my alma mater! Did you go there, too? Anyway, I just moved to Iowa City, and I have a food blog, too, so it's nice to "meet" you! :) Love your photos!

Alissa @ Not Just Apples said...

these look perfect!

i love thursdays too - that happens to be my day off from work :)

Ann said...

I still have two containers of molasses calling out to me to be used so thanks for the recipe!!

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to make these for over a month now and finally did so tonight. I'm not even a big fan of molasses or spice cookies, but the recipe appealed to me for some reason and the final product is scrumdiddlyumptious!! The flavor and texture (love the soft/crisp/crunchy combo)is perfect! I added half a teaspoon ground cloves, but otherwise kept it the same. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...