Friday, November 12, 2010

Fruit and Nut Sweet Bites


If you're anything like me, chances are you crave a little something sweet at the end of every meal. I don't care how stuffed I am. It doesn't have to be much; a bite or two is enough to keep the cravings at bay.

Lately I've been experimenting with sweet bites that won't compromise my healthy lifestyle too much. And since willpower in the face of baked goods isn't my specialty, having just a bite of pie or ice cream just doesn't suit me. Seriously, does anyone have just one bite?

These little babies are my solution. No, they're not as beautiful as a piece of pie, but they're beautiful for your hips. Similar to my Homemade Larabars, which have been one of the most popular posts on my site to date, these treats are based off a mix of nuts and dried fruit. Not only have they made a great treat at the end of a meal, but I've found that tossing a few in a zip-top bag and taking them to work helps keep hunger at bay, too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got packing, work and traveling to do! Will the packing and traveling ever end?! Thankfully my plans for the weekend are on the low-key side. And I couldn't be more excited. See you Monday!

Fruit and Nut Sweet Bites 
(Printable Recipe) 

These little bites are sweetened naturally thanks to prunes and cashew or peanut butter. They will be slightly sticky, but not to worry. That's how they are supposed to be. They moisture from the prunes and nut butter will keep them most for up to a week or two when stored in a zip-top bag. 

Ingredients
*1/2 cup prunes
*1/2 cup cashew butter or natural peanut butter
*1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
*1 Tbsp. pumpkin butter (optional)
*1/3 to 1/2 cup Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal or other crunchy cereal

Instructions
*Place the prunes, nut butter, ground cinnamon and pumpkin butter, if using, in the bowl of a food processor. Process until ingredients form a paste, about 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
*Add in the cereal and process until all ingredients are well combined.
*Roll into balls by heaping tablespoons and store in a zip-top bag.

Happy Cooking!

Madison

Happy Baking!

Madison

6 comments:

The Blue-Eyed Bakers said...

Oh these look delicious! We're always looking for healthier options...to balance out all the not so healthy options we enjoy...!

Lauren at KeepItSweet said...

never thought to use prunes for these types of things, great idea!

Lynette said...

thanks for the healthy recipe!!

Lynette said...

what do u use or suggest for pumpkin butter? I know it is optional. I'm just curious.

Madison Mayberry said...

Lynette -

Good question! I guess the best answer is that I've been obsessed with Trader Joe's pumpkin butter for the last couple weeks and have been looking for new ways to incorporate it into my baked goods to give them an extra punch. I think the spices and sweetness really bring out the other flavors in these little bites.

Cheers!
Madison

Lynette said...

Thanks!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...