Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On Being Less Connected


A few weeks ago I read an interesting post on Beauty Bets. Although the site is primarily fashion, beauty and style-focused, every now and again there is a little gem of a post about something other than beauty products and the latest spa treatments I find myself dying to try.

In the post, the author talked about the idea of being less connected in our non-working hours, taking breaks to detox from outside distractions and the like. Specifically, they linked to this post, which I found unbelievably insightful and convicting to read. As someone who is a self-professed cell phone addict, constantly updating my Twitter status, reading posts on Facebook or checking e-mail, it's nice to be reminded that I need to just step away now and again.

If you have a chance, I highly recommend taking a few minutes to read through it. It's a great reminder of how important it is for all of us to guard our personal time away from work and keep some things sacred, such as spending time with family and friends.


Tell me: What do you all do to detox from technology? Do you have a set time you decide to quick checking your phone or e-mail each night? Or maybe you turn it off the minute you walk in the door?

For me personally, I love letting my work cell phone go dead on the weekends. When I was first given my work cell, I thought about moving to just having one phone for both work and personal use, but I'm glad I've kept the two separate so I can completely disconnect on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...