Friday, February 25, 2011

Nutella Olive Oil Cake




I'm terribly undecided about this cake. Which is probably why these images have been sitting on my computer for weeks, taunting me, begging to be posted - or not. It's not that I didn't love this cake. In fact, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm just unsure how others might feel about such a cake. Olive oil and Nutella? Together? Yes, indeed.

Since mildly sweet, humble cakes are somewhat of an obsession of mine, this cake won me over at first bite. The original recipe doesn't call for Nutella but rather the more expected flavor of lemon. But I had a half opened jar of the chocolate hazelnut spread in my pantry and couldn't imagine a better way to put it to use. It imparted an interesting sweet and savory flavor combination to the cake, though I should not that I would highly recommend making it with a light-flavored olive oil instead of a full-bodied variety, unless you really, truly love olive oil.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get ready for the weekend ahead. Making the bed, baking banana bread, cleaning my apartment, and getting cleaned up for Joey's visit in a few hours! It never gets old. I get so excited each and every weekend. Hopefully this weekend I manage to stay healthy and do more than sit curled in a ball on the couch.

Have a happy weekend, all!

Nutella Olive Oil Cake
Adapted from Gourmet magazine, 2006

Ingredients
*3/4 cup olive oil (extra-virgin if desired), plus additional for greasing pan
*1/3 cup Nutella, melted slightly in the microwave and stirred
*1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
*5 large eggs, separated, reserving 1 white for another use
*3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
*Powdered sugar

Instructions
*Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease springform pan with some oil, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Oil parchment. 

*Beat together Nutella, egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add olive oil (3/4 cup) and reserved lemon juice, beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated). Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture (do not beat) until just combined.

*Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating, and continue to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes. 

*Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly. 

*Transfer batter to springform pan and gently rap against work surface once or twice to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until puffed and golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pan and remove side of pan. Cool cake to room temperature, about 1 1/4 hours. Remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment, then transfer cake to a serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar. 

Happy Baking!

Madison

6 comments:

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

What an interesting cake! It looks delicious topped with powdered sugar. I might be curious enough to try it... Have a great weekend!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers said...

Oh yes please. We are loving this combo - so unexpected but how can you go wrong throwing a little Nutella into a cake?!

Poires au Chocolat said...

What an intruiguing flavour combination - I'm glad you posted it. Always good to expand your flavour horizons!

Unknown said...

What a cool recipe, I have yet to try an Olive oil cake.

Unknown said...

Your recipes are so different! One day, I will try one!

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

I love unexpected flavor combinations like this. And I especially love the olive oil flavor in slightly sweet baked goods. A friend of mine who is allergic to dairy (and is Greek to boot) would use olive oil in cakes and cookies she baked back in high school, so evidently that gave me a great appreciation for the flavor. I'm glad you posted this recipe instead of letting it sit idly on your computer. :-)

Have a great weekend!

xoxo,
tanja

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...